HOT SPRINGS – Following the recent recommendation of the South Dakota High School Activities Association (SDHSAA) to move forward with the fall high school sports schedule as planned, new Hot Springs High School Activities Director Charles Hruby announced the following start times for Bison athletics.
• Cheer/Dance – Practice begins August 3; First Contest at Belle Fourche on Sept. 3 (Head Coach is Trina Simunek)
• Soccer – Practice begins August 3; First contest is August 14 at Hot Springs vs. Belle Fourche (Head Coach is Bob Preuss.)
• Football – Practice begins August 6; First Contest vs. St. Thomas More on August 21 at Hot Springs (Head Coach is Ben Kramer)
• Golf – Practice begins August 10; First Contest will be August 18 at Hot Springs with the Pre-Conference Meet (Head Coach is David Merrill)
• Volleyball – Practice begins August 13; First Contest is Tentatively the Custer Tourney on August 28 or 29 (Head Coach is Tanna White)
• Cross Country – Practice begins August 13; First Contest at Newcastle, Wyo., on August 28 (Head Coach is John Entwisle).
Despite the SDHSAA waiving the requirement for athletic physicals, if the athlete is returning to a school in which they had a previous physical on hand, the Hot Springs Bison coaching staff is still recommending and encouraging all athletes to get them done prior to the start of practice, to ensure all athletes are physically fit to participate.
All Hot Springs athletes competing in Bison sports for the first time are required to complete a physical before the first date of practice. Forms are available at the School Administration Office.
Edgemont Activities Director/Principal Brad Zachow said a Parent Meeting is planned for both football and volleyball parents for Monday, Aug. 10, at 6 p.m. He said they will likely be meeting in a couple of different classrooms at the high school, but everyone is asked to first meet in the gymnasium.
The first football practice begins Thursday Aug. 6, at 6 a.m. with the first game scheduled at New Underwood on Friday Aug. 21 at 7 p.m. The head coach is Erik Swanson, who is being assisted by Kyle Kaiser and Jeremy Henderson.
The first volleyball practice is planned for Thursday, Aug. 13 at 6 a.m., with the first games taking place at the Custer Tournament on Friday and Saturday, Aug. 28-29. Susan Ostenson is once again the head coach, with Don Haskvitz assisting.