Oelrichs Board of Education Special Board Meeting
July 17, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
Superintendent’s Office - Oelrichs, South Dakota
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Osmotherly at 5:31 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance
Roll Call: Members Present: Dave Osmotherly, Dennis Quivey, Jennifer Her Many Horses, Lance Tlustos, and Vince Logue. Others Present; Mike Hickey, Tim Cheevers from Upper Deck Architects, Dr. Stone, Deana Castro.
Motion was made by Tlustos to approve the Agenda, seconded by Her Many Horses.
School Facilities: Tim Cheevers discussed the 2009 Facilities Improvement, which consisted of a 25 foot x 30 foot room which could house 24 students. He brought copies of three versions of previous floor plans for additions to the school building. There was much discussion of changes to the original plans and what is needed for the future. He is taking ideas and suggestions back to Upper Deck Architects and will return with new plans in the future.
Personnel: Quivey made a motion to approve Karen Ley as the new Special Education Teacher, as the previous one had accepted a different position at another school, seconded by Her Many Horses.
Motion was made by Tlustos to approve Tami Hughson as the MS Volleyball coach, seconded by Quivey.
Student Enrollment: SDCL 1-25-2.2 Student Matters: Discussing the expulsion, suspension, discipline, assignment of or the educational program of a student or the eligibility of a student to participate in interscholastic activities provided by the South Dakota High School Activities Association.
Motion was made by Her Many Horses to expel two high school students, seconded by Tlustos.
Motion was made by Quivey, to approve all recommended students and not to accept the one administration did not recommend, seconded by Her Many Horses.
According to Board Policy BCA, the following items of business need to be addressed at this time. Note: The Board may vote on any or all items separately:
1. Designation of official depository: Recommendation: First National Bank (Rapid City)
2. Designation of the Chief Executive Officer as the custodian of all accounts: Recommendation: Approve
3. Designation of the official legal newspaper: Recommendation: Fall River County Herald
4. Authorization of continuation of existing funds or accounts and the establishment of any new accounts, if necessary: Recommendation : Approve
5. Setting of date, time and place of regular meetings: Recommendation: Date: Second Monday of the month; Time: 5:30 p.m.; Place: Oelrichs School Building
6. Establishment of advisory committees where applicable: Recommendation: Approve
7. Review of bonds for Business Manager and other bonded personnel: Recommendation: $250,000 for the Business Manager with the premium paid to be paid by the District; $250,000 for the Chief Executive Officer with the premium to be paid by the District.; $250,000 for the Principal with the premium to be paid by the District
8. Appointment of Chief Executive Officer to serve as administrator of T & A accounts: Recommendation: Approve
9. Appointment of Chief Executive Officer to direct all federal programs: Recommendation: Approve
10. Authorization of adve11ising bids for materials not already purchased: Recommendation: Approve
11. Authorization of Chief Executive Officer to institute school lunch agreement: Recommendation: Approve
12. Re-designation of Robert’s Rules of Order or other rules as parliamentary procedure for Board meetings: Recommendation: Approve
13. Set tuition rate for elementary or secondary enrollment: Recommendation: Approve
14. Authorization for the Chief Executive Officer to invest and reinvest funds in institutions offering the greatest advantage to the School District: Recommendation: Approve
15.Setting of food service prices: Recommendation: All grades lunch: $3.25; Adults lunch: $3.50 w/milk; All grades Breakfast: $3.25 w/milk; Adults: Breakfast: $2.50 w/milk; Milk: $0.35
16. Setting of admission prices for the corning school year: Recommendation: Adults: $5.00; Students: $2.00; Activity tickets: Senior Citizens $0; Activity tickets: Adults $20.00; Oelrichs School faculty, staff and students admitted without charge.
17. Setting Board Member compensation Recommendation: $75.00
8. Designation of Chief Executive Officer to close school in emergency situations and in case of inclement weather and setting chain of command in event the CEO is absent: Recommendation: Approve
19. Designation of Chief Executive Officer as District Truancy Officer. Recommendation: Approve
20. Appoint Board Member to represent the District on the Black Hills Special Services Cooperative: Board Member: Vince Logue; Alternate: Lance Tlustos
21. Designate District Attorney as chief negotiator for the Board: Recommendation: Approve
22. Designate two members to the Board of Directors of the Black Hills Educational Benefits Plan (Insurance): Board Member: Jennifer Her Many Horses; Alternate: Dennis Quivey
23. Setting substitute teacher pay: Recommendation: $80.00 per day non-certified; $115.00 per day certified; $130.00 per day long-term (ten or more consecutive days); $70.00 per day Kitchen Staff
24. Authorize pre-payment of fleet fuel, Wal-Mart and First National credit card bills monthly: Recommendation: Approve
25. Authorize the CEO to apply for the Title Consolidated Grant to include Title VI: Recommendation: Approve
26. The annual election for School Board members shall be set between the second Tuesday in April and the third Tuesday in June between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.Recommendation: Approve
27. Parent Mileage in lieu of busing in District: Recommendation: Approve at $0.55 per mile after 5 mile away from school
28. The Oelrichs School District will designate all applicable benefit plans as a Section 125 to include health, dental and vision.Recommendation: Approve
Motion made by Quivey to approve all of section 5.0, seconded by Her Many Horses.
Executive Session: Motion made by Her Many Horses to move into Executive Session at 7:05 p.m.
SDCL 1-25-2.1 Employee Matters: Discussing the qualifications, competence, performance, character, or fitness of any public officer or employee, prospective public officer or employee. The term “employee” does not include any independent contractor.
Out of Executive Session at 7:29 p.m.
Discussion of the Transportation Director to get quotes for a 4x4 Suburban and bring it to the next meeting.
Quivey made a motion to adjourn at 7:29 p.m.
Published once at the total approximate cost of $81.27
Published: Sept. 20, 2018